These chocolate and marzipan brownies are spicy and reminiscent of Swiss Christmas cookies, for an old-world festive touch.
- Makes: about 30 small squares
- Preparation time: 30 minutes
- Baking time: 30-35 minutes
- Oven temperature: 160 degrees Celsius
- 200g dark chocolate
- 160g (175ml) butter
- 4 large eggs
- 55g (65ml) white sugar
- 100g (165ml) dark brown sugar
- 10ml ground ginger
- 10ml ground cinnamon
- large pinch each of ground cloves, grated nutmeg and ground black pepper
- 5ml vanilla extract
- 100g (250ml) ground almonds
- 1100g (185ml) cake flour
- 12,5ml baking powder
- 1130g marzipan, chilled
- 1icing sugar, to dust
- Grease and line a 22-25cm square cake tin.
- Chop the chocolate and cut the butter into cubes. Heat in a saucepan over a low heat.
- Once the chocolate starts to melt, stir until smooth. Remove from the heat and set aside to cool.
- Beat the eggs and sugars together until light. Add the spices and vanilla extract and beat well. Stir in the ground almonds, flour and baking powder.
- Grate the marzipan coarsely and fold into the batter, along with the chocolate mixture. Spoon into the prepared tin and bake in a preheated oven for 30 minutes, or until a skewer inserted comes out clean. The cake should still be moist.
- Remove from the oven and cool completely. Cover and set aside for 24 hours. Dust with icing sugar.
- Use a sharp, serrated knife to cut the cake into small squares.
Once you’re done in the kitchen, you can use an effective detergent like Ariel to remove stains from your aprons and clothes. This hypoallergenic soap removes tough spots and is perfect for those with sensitive skin.
What other yummy things do you like to bake for gifts? Comment below!
You can grab your detergent at special prices on Shoppee here